Friday, May 9, 2008

stripping society

I love myself. And not in an arrogant 'I'm the shit' kinda way. But I feel like it's difficult these days for women to like themselves, much less love themselves. In a society where men are told to hide their tears and women are promoted as tokens of success, it's a rarity to find strength and swim against even the simple things like the judgment of someone you may not even like. Or a bad review from someone you may not even know beyond their name on a printed scrap of paper. It's not a secret that our culture can be sexist, women and men alike. And I recognize that I've grown up in an environment where my opinions can come out skewed compared to the mainstream but I'm glad for that. I respect my body, my thoughts, and my soul.

With that said...prom was last weekend.
Body parts were exposed, lap dances were shared (only after multiple shots of tequila), and oh! ass grabbing, pinching, squeezing...I'd keep going but I'm afraid you'd get bored. Of course, I played no role in the aforementioned obscenities... excluding the not-so-stealthy recovery from the assault on my boobs (somehow my dress slipped off my shoulders, no fault of mine). Now you may be thinking I sound quite contradictory: '
Why she was just on the verge of advocating women's rights and now has diverged to a typical day at the playboy mansion.' But let me assure you, this is not the case. There's no doubt that a fine line exists between the sex goddess and the slut but I'd like to think I fall somewhere within the former... ignoring my lack of sexual activity at the moment. I won't deny that I will strut around from time to time, taking notice of the advantageous eye nearby. But I also will not let said advantageous eye have a sneak peak at his private party. One of my friends offered the perspective that for a woman to exhibit her sexuality is only succumbing to what society expects from women. Ironically, he says, by exerting our god given right we have, in turn, fell in our standards. I understand how this makes sense but I also believe that it's an innate feeling to love the recognition of someone else and to exert one's sexuality... to a certain extent... and there's nothing wrong with that. I'm confused whether society expects me to objectify my body as I wrap my legs around a pole or zip my coat up to my eyes. But no matter, I will wear a skimpy outfit and dance around and not be a slut... who knew it was possible. As one of the many caribou junkies says, "That's the reason I believe in God, because only he could make something that beautiful" [referring to the female body]. If only more people could share the same opinion.


So, no, you will not see me with my ass hanging out on the side of a bus. But maybe, if you're lucky, you'll see a man cry.

No comments: