Wednesday, August 20, 2008

sex on paper

You walk into a room filled with oriental paper lamps hanging from the ceiling and asian printed dragons breathing fire towards your silhouette. You sit in a familiar cushioned seat. You order sesame chicken with a glance at the menu, predictably, and fake your understanding at the struggled pronunciation filling your ears. With stomach bulging and a clean plate pushed forward you watch as he leans over to place the perfectly coiled fortune at your side. You unravel your fate with slight excitement; has this naked baked cookie predicted my future?

Everyone looks forward to the crisp awakening of this flimsy prophecy uncoiling from its golden brown exterior. More importantly is the game that follows said awakening when we find out how boring our futures are without sexual innuendo involved. Who knew Chinese food could render such anticipation? The "in bed" game incorporates the delicacy of the Chinese fortune cookie with our over-sexed American culture. yay! With fortune in hand, you read aloud your fate and add "in bed" at the end of the sentence. Summer reaches across the table and reads the printed words with delight. Evan does the same and smiles proudly as he reveals aloud his future escapades:

"Be prepared to receive something special... in bed."

While Evan wrestles with the idea of what special thing he may receive in the first week of his budding college life, I unravel the contents of my own skeptical fate.

"You shouldn't overspend at the moment. Frugality is important in bed."

Why did I even look...
Because of certain obstacles I've faced (namely at the pediatrician's office) my fortune rang sadly true. I mercilessly flicked it beside my plate. Of course, maybe it's better to know what's coming in this circumstance (i.e. absolutely nothing) than to be struck with the overwhelming feeling of not knowing. At least I can depend on these cheap scraps of paper to give it to me straightforward instead of dangling me on the end of an invisible point, as I so often find myself after opening up a tea packet. 

Every night before bed I drink "sleepy tea" from a company called Yogi that encourages strengthening the mind, body, and spirit through yoga and a healthy balance in life. A Yogi saying kindly offers its wisdom at the end of each tea bag. As I wait for my water to boil in the microwave, I take in the words draped over the side of my mug.

"open up to infinity and you become infinity."

As much as I would like to drink my tea and feel one with myself, I'm left thinking, what the fuck does that mean??? I feel like it's something about opening your mind and accomplishing what you've set out to do but really... what kind of advice is this? Wonder if someone on ecstasy was reading this; that would not bode well. He might try to fly or something. It's so ambiguous.

However, I'm thankful for the lack of a definitive ending, furthermore, one that excludes my sex life. Maybe what's better than knowing is not knowing, after all. Because as it turns out, the anticipation never matches the outcome in its intensity. Plus, everyone knows the most important rule of fortune cookie eating... you have to keep your fortune for it to come true. Unfortunately for Evan, I have a horrible memory and had to keep his fortune for this post to come into being. 

No something special for you.

hah.

No comments: