Beyond the confined living spaces, the accessible junk food, and the lack of friends, I have this stereotypical beer guzzling jock image that shrouds my mind every time I think about college. I imagine so many stories about the college sweetheart couple that breaks up and then finds them selves magically back together when they realize there is no other companion that can live up to what they had. However, the only fairy tale I have evidential proof of is the drunken hook up buddies who live across the hall from one another who magically forget each others names so they won't have to face the embarrassment of the previous night...this is much less a fairy tale than it is a nightmare on college street. Excuse me if I sound prude for two seconds but the image of one of the desperate male species scattered throughout the college scene trying to shove their writhing hands down my pants is not my idea of a good time. I don't mean to say that a hook up is a bad thing; at the risk of sounding inarticulate, hook-ups can be hot. My point is that I'm scared today's society is simply encouraging hooking up behavior in replace of romantic courtships. If we're not careful evolution will take its course and we won't need romance in our lives; sex for the pleasure of plowing someone will be the dominating factor in continuing our existence; there will no longer be a reason to "find love". I know I'm going to have 'sex sans love' plenty of times in my life but I'd like to think that I wouldn't regret these experiences. Maybe that's what it is then...it's not that I'm fearful of the male jock (let's face it, this type can carry very good genes), it's that I'm afraid of regretting my decision instead of enjoying a fun night out. I have this preconceived notion that I will feel utterly contrite with myself if I don't think anything is going to come of it; as if I took advantage of the complete lack of love that defines these situations and coaxed it into my arms. I know that I only believe this now because I've recently made a New Years resolution to myself to not hook up with anyone until we are dating, not that I casually "hook up" in terms of sex as of now anyways. I want to concentrate on being single and doing the cliche single activities for a while such as having girl nights or endless dates with my blog. That's not to say I won't flirt and maintain potential relationships because really...
what's life without love?

No comments:
Post a Comment